One of the first things that come to mind when people talk about losing weight is getting rid of the fat around the belly. A protuberant stomach in addition to making you look unattractive and out of shape leaves you susceptible to certain health complications.
The truth is that you cannot pick a particular spot to reduce fat in your body. The only way to reduce belly fat is to lose fat in your whole body. But some exercises can help tighten and tone this area, giving you a stronger core.
In this article, we have highlighted 8 simple exercises that can help you to reduce belly fat – and overall body fat. These workout routines can be done from the comfort of your home and require no special equipment.
It is advised that you warm-up for about 10 minutes before starting these exercises as this will help to get your muscles ready and reduce the risk of injuries.
Let’s get down to it.
How to Reduce Belly Fat: 8 Exercises That Work
1. Lying leg raises
This exercise does not only work your lower abs, but it also improves the strength and flexibility of your hips and lower back. It is a simple but very effective exercise that is easy when you start but becomes increasingly difficult as you do more reps. It also targets your glute, hamstring, and quadriceps muscles.
- Start by lying down flat with your back to the floor. You can use an exercise mat or a folded blanket to act as cushioning under your back.
- With your hands under your hips and palms flat on the floor, slowly raise your legs to an angle of 90 degrees to the floor.
- Hold in this position for a few seconds, then slowly bring down your legs.
- Without allowing your legs to touch the floor, take it up again.
- Repeat the procedure 10 to 12 times.
2. Abdominal crunches
According to fitness experts, crunches are one of the best fat-burning exercises. It works your entire abs with the primary focus being your rectus abdominus muscle.
- Lie down flat with your knees bent and your feet on the floor.
- With your thumb at the back of your ear and the other fingers holding your head, lift your head off the floor. This is the starting position.
- Without moving your legs, try to bring your head to your knee and then back to the starting position. Exhale as you come up and inhale as you go down.
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
3. Bicycle crunch
The bicycle crunch exercise targets your abdominal muscles as well as your hamstring and your quads.
- Lie down with your back to the floor, just as in the starting position for crunch.
- With your elbows spread out, try to touch your left knee with your right elbow. Straighten your right leg on the floor as you do this.
- Repeat the procedure with your other leg and the opposite elbow. Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
Burpee is one of the best ways to reduce belly fat and lose weight in general. It is a full-body exercise that works your shoulders, chest, quadriceps as well as your core.
- Begin by assuming a standing position with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your knees and place your hands on the floor in a squat position.
- Jump and kick your feet backwards in a plank or pushup position.
- Return to the squat position, then jump vertically, keeping your hands over your head.
- Return to the squat position and repeat. Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
5. Mountain climber
This exercise works several joints and muscles at the same time. It targets your abs, back, triceps, glutes, hamstring, as well as your core.
- Assume the traditional plank position with your wrist directly under your shoulders. Make sure you keep your neck, back, and hips in a straight line.
- Drive your right knee towards your elbow, then back to the plank position, then repeat with your left knee. It is okay if you cannot bring your knee up.
- Continue switching legs and speed up as if you’re running.
- Continue the procedure for about 30 seconds. Repeat for three rounds.
6. Russian twists
This exercise provides a way to work your core, shoulders, and hips. It improves oblique strength and definition and involves twisting your core from side to side from a sit-up position.
- Sit up on the floor with your knees bent and your legs slightly raised.
- From this position, turn your upper body to the right and then to the left. The movement should come from your ribs and not your hands.
- Repeat for about 15 reps.
The plank is a full-body exercise that targets your abdominal muscles, lower back, glutes, biceps, and shoulders. It helps to give you a better posture, improve flexibility as well as burn calories quickly.
- Lie face down with your forearms and toes on the floor. Your elbows should be directly below your shoulder, and your body in a straight line from head to toe.
- Engage your abdominal muscles by drawing your navel toward your spine.
- Hold in this position for at least 30 seconds. Do 3 sets.
8. Walking or running
Of course, you read that right. Walking is a very effective method to reduce belly fat. It seems so easy but it can do a whole lot for your body. Research has shown that jogging is better at breaking down abdominal fat than weightlifting. Brisk walking for 30 to 45 minutes every day can help increase the rate of metabolism and burn down excess calories quickly.
Belly fat is associated with an increased risk of stroke, diabetes, heart diseases, and cancer. This is why getting rid of it should be a priority.
Eliminating abdominal fat is not an easy task. Alongside exercising, you need to focus on your diet if you want to reduce the fat around your belly. Eating less junk and more fruits, vegetables, and protein makes it easier to cut down body fat. Drink a lot of water too, and avoid stress as much as you can.