We're an affiliate
We partner with some amazing companies that offer products that help our readers achieve their health goals. If you purchase through our partner links, we get paid at no additional cost to you. Thank you for using our links!
Aside from improving joint pain, water exercises have also proved beneficial for weight loss. They are particularly essential for those who want to lose weight without indulging in heavy land exercises.
This article will discuss the most recommended water exercises to help you lose weight. Let’s start.
Other benefits of water aerobics
Pool exercises come with a lot of health benefits. They are;
- Increased muscle strength
- Greater flexibility.
- It reduces anxiety and stress level
- It maintains cardiovascular health.
- It reduces pressure on joints
- Toning for both upper and lower torso.
- Less injury concerns.
What are the best water exercises to lose weight?
There are a lot of water exercises for weight loss. The following are top on the list.
1. Water walking
This exercise targets your arms, core, and lower body.
- Stand upright with your chest slightly upward.
- Place your whole foot on the bottom of the pool.
- With your heels coming down first, walk 10-20 steps forward. Swing your arms as you walk while facing straight.
- Walk 10 – 20 steps backward and gently increase your speed.
- Alternate between jogging and walking.
- Do five reps.
2. Noodle plank
To do this exercise, you’ll need a long cylindrical piece of sturdy foam (called a noodle). You can be sure to burn 2 – 4 calories after a plank exercise.
- Stand in one end of the water and hold the noodle with both hands from the middle.
- Ensure your body and arms are straight.
- Lean forward and push the noodle under the water. Only your toes should touch the bottom of the pool.
- Hold this position for 15-20 seconds.
- Repeat 3 – 5 times.
3. Arm lifts
This exercise works your chest, back, triceps and shoulders.
- Stand in water at shoulder level.
- Keep your feet apart and your arms positioned downwards.
- Lift both arms at the same time to a horizontal position. Let your palm face downward.
- Lower your arms back to the starting position.
- Perform four sets of 10-15 lifts.
4. Dolphin tail
This exercise helps you work your legs, back, and core.
To perform the dolphin tail,
- Stand in the water at a chin level.
- Raise your arms out to the side.
- With your legs together and your knees straight, use the movement from your core to sweep your legs backward and then quickly extend them forward (like a dolphin’s tail).
- While doing the above, sweep your arms through the water in the opposite direction of your legs.
- Continue for 30 seconds.
- Complete three reps.
5. The bicycle
The bicycle exercise would challenge your core and hip flexors.
To do this,
- Go to a 4 or 5-foot section of the pool where you can’t touch the floor when leaning against the pool.
- With your back to the wall, rest your elbow at the edge of the pool. Your stomach should face upwards
- Bend your knees and pedal like you are riding a bicycle. Complete 15 cycles.
- Do three sets.
6. Tuck jump
Tuck jumps are a full-body workout and will help you burn calories faster.
- Stand upright in water at a waist level with your feet hip-width apart
- Descend to a quarter squat position.
- With your arm raised, jump up as high as possible.
- While in mid-air, raise your knees towards your chest.
- Lower back to the ground and repeat.
- Do three sets of 10 jumps.
7. High knees
- Stand in water with your feet at a hip-width distance.
- Flex your left elbow and raise your right knee towards your chest.
- Alternate the movement as quickly as possible.
- Repeat for 30 seconds.
- Perform three reps.
8. Flutter kick
The flutter kick is a type of water exercise that will work your leg muscles while helping you to produce more sweat, thus eliminating excess calories.
- With your stomach facing the water, hold onto the edge of the pool.
- Flutter your legs back and forth as quickly as possible.
- Kick for 30 seconds.
- Complete three reps.
9. Jumping jacks
This exercise works your glutes, upper back, shoulders, and quadriceps.
- Stand in water at chest level with your arms at the side.
- While raising your arms up and out of the water, jump your feet outward to slightly wider than shoulder-width distance.
- Without pausing, reverse the movement and repeat for three sets of 20.
10. Knee lift
- Stand with feet wider than hip-width distance.
- Bend arms and place hands behind head.
- Bend hips slightly and lift left knee towards left elbow.
- Return to the original position, then repeat on the right side. That’s one rep.
- Perform 10–12 reps.
11. Tread water
- Go to the end of the pool and stand vertically in the water with your head above the surface. Ensure your feet are not touching the floor.
- Kick your legs back and forth while moving your arms in a circle below the water surface.
- Tread for one minute.
- Complete three sets.
12. Reverse fly
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and bend your knees slightly.
- Keep your arms straight, and hinge your forward. Let your palm be directly facing your body.
- Raise both arms out to the sides until they reach shoulder height.
- Return to start. Perform 15 reps.
Recommended gears for water exercises
Though not entirely necessary, these exercise equipment will make your water aerobics easier and more productive.
- Kickboards to help you stabilize your upper body.
- Swim bar for stabilization in water.
- Water-resistant smartwatch to monitor fitness progress.
- Water shoes to improve traction.
- Webbed gloves for more excellent resistance of the arms during movement.
- Wrist and ankle weight for a more intense workout.
Safety tips for water exercises
- Drink plenty of water before and after the workout to avoid dehydration.
- Don’t go deeper than waist-high if you’re a beginner swimmer.
- Use sunscreens where necessary.
Wrapping it up
Water exercises are good cardio options for weight loss. Because water is denser than air, you will encounter more resistance while exercising in water than on land, which means more impactful workout sessions in less time.