Kale is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat. It can be added to salads, included in casseroles and stir-fries. Usually, Kale is used as a garnish, but as you’ll soon discover, there are far more uses than that. Kale smoothies help to detoxify the body, which is essential for weight loss. Once detoxification is complete, the weight continues to fall off. The smoothies also continue to supply the body with much-needed nutrients. Sounds fantastic right? Let’s dive into eight kale recipes that help you lose weight.
Kale recipes for weight loss
1. Kale-Banana Smoothie
- Two leaves purple kale
- 1⁄2 pear
- Two cups of water
- One cup frozen raspberry
- Two leaves collard greens
How to Prepare Kale-Banana Smoothie
- Slice the pear into chunks and place in the blender.
- Add your frozen raspberry and blend for about 10 minutes.
- Add the kale and collard greens and blend lightly for 30 seconds.
- Add the banana and add water until your desired consistency is achieved.
The banana in the recipe makes you feel full. Cruciferous vegetables such as kale and collard greens help to reduce the risk of obesity and other health conditions. They’re also high in fibre content which makes digestion easier. Raspberries are low in calories and high in nutrients. It contains about 85% water, making it a filling low-calorie fruit.
2. Green-grape smoothie
For this smoothie, you will need:
- Two cups of seedless grapes (preferably red grapes)
- One cup of chopped kale
- One medium pear
- 1⁄2 cup frozen pumpkin puree
- Two tablespoon avocado
- 3⁄4 cup coconut water
- Icecubes (optional)
How to prepare a green-grape smoothie
- Cut the pear and remove the seed and core.
- Chop into chunks.
- Peel the skin from the avocado and place in the blender with the pear and the green ingredients.
- Blend lightly for about 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend for about 60 seconds or until the desired thickness.
Avocados are great for curbing the appetite because they keep you full for long periods. Pears are also low in calories and high in water and fibre, which also keeps you feeling full. Pumpkin is also a weight loss-friendly fruit since you can consume a lot of it due to its low-calorie content. And coconut water is a natural sweetener with fairly low-fat content and a host of health benefits.
3. Kale-spinach smoothie
Items needed include:
- A cup of chopped kale (remove the stems)
- One cup of chopped spinach (remove all stems)
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped cucumber
- Half a cup of non-fat Greek yoghurt
- One teaspoon of salt
- 1⁄2 cup of water
- One teaspoon of sugar
How to prepare a kale-spinach smoothie
To make the kale-spinach smoothie,
- In a pot of boiling water, add the kale and allow it to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach.
- Allow simmering
- Strain the spinach and kale.
- Allow cooling in cold water
- Strain out and place in a blender.
- Add all the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour over ice cubes and serve.
Spinach is a good weight loss vegetable because it contains few calories. It also contains insoluble fibre which helps to keep you full. Cucumbers are low in calories and high in water content.
4. Glowing skin green smoothie
For this kale recipe, you need just three ingredients:
- Get four large green apples.
- Six celery stalks.
- And two kale leaves.
How to prepare a glowing skin green smoothie
- Remove the seed from apples.
- Remove the stem from kale leaves.
- Place in a juicer altogether with celery stalks (cut into smaller pieces).
- Blend for about 2 minutes Pour into glasses and serve.
5. Tropical kale smoothie
Ingredients needed include:
- 1⁄2 frozen banana.
- 1⁄2 cup of frozen mango.
- 1⁄2 cup of frozen pineapple.
- 2 cups fresh kale (stemmed and chopped).
- 1⁄2 cup dairy-free milk.
How to prepare a tropical kale smoothie
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender.
- Blend on high until all the ingredients are incorporated, and the mixture is smooth.
- Add more milk if you want a thinner smoothie.
6. Kale-yogurt smoothie
An essential ingredient for making a kale-yoghurt smoothie is Greek yoghurt. Greek yoghurt is more nutritious than regular yoghurt. It contains a higher concentration of protein and probiotics. It also helps you to feel full and reduces hunger pangs.
- A cup of Greek yoghurt
- One cup of berries (strawberries or blueberries)
- A cup of chopped kale leaves, (ribs and stems removed)
- Ice cubes (optional)
- One cup of almond milk
How to prepare kale-yoghurt smoothie
- Add the kale, banana, Greek yoghurt, berries, ice, and almond milk to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
If you’re looking for a quick healthy snack or a side dish to munch on, these kale recipes are great to try.
7. Garlic and ginger sautéed kale
- One tablespoon olive oil
- Six cloves of garlic,
- Minced two teaspoons ginger (peeled and grated)
- One head kale, (stems removed, leaves chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt
How to prepare garlic and ginger sautéed kale
- Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet.
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant. (about 1 minute).
- Add the chopped kale leaves and sauté until softened and wilted, continually stirring for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve with fresh lemon slices as a side dish to any meal.
8. Zesty kale slaw
To make Zesty kale slaw, you’ll need:
- One head dino kale
- A small head red cabbage (about 7 cups thinly sliced)
- One large carrot
- Zest of 1 lime (the outer green layer of peel)
- One tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh lime juice
- Only one tablespoon ginger, peeled and finely grated
- One clove garlic, minced 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
How to prepare zesty kale slaw
- Cut a red cabbage in half, remove and discard the core, and slice thinly.
- Peel a carrot and chop it into thin, small sticks.
- Remove the leaves of the kale from the stems and thinly slice the leaves.
- Using the fine side of a grater, grate the fresh, peeled ginger.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, grated ginger, garlic, and salt.
- Add the vegetables to a large mixing bowl and pour the dressing on top.
- Mix well until everything is coated in the dressing.
Serve as a barbecue or as a side dish (You can replace the lime zest with orange juice)
Kale has a strong flavour and a slightly bitter taste. The kale recipes listed here combine other beneficial fruits and vegetables for added benefits. You can also experiment with your selection of ingredients that are low in fat for variety. Use non-dairy milk in the kale recipes for full benefits and buy organic options of fruits if available.
Read the next helpful post: Some of the Healthiest Foods on Earth to Eat Every Day